Task 028 [Apple Tree]

Files Added:

Apple_Tree.max

branchtexref - detailed - bloom.dds

Need to fix my texture for the blooming trees. See screen shot for the issue, something to do with opacity?

Anyone have any ideas? Also feedback on the early stuff would be useful.

Can I have clarification on : "Include your apple and tree trunk texture with the branch."

So I'm making a new texture with all of the images on one decal sheet?

post-3389-1205561799_thumb.gif

What is happening there is, Bobbo is being tricky (I think :)). He knows that the game only renders what is in the central UV map. Meaning - anything that extends out of the bounds of the main uv-unwrap box in the uv-unwrap modifier in Max won't be shown in the game. So, those artifacts - won't be there in the game. Without checking out the files I don't know for sure, but I suspect that is it.

I think what Bobbo means with the texture is, that you should reserve a spot (real estate) on the branch for an apple and tree trunk - and paste them in there rather than creating separate textures for those. So yes, a new texture with all on one. Is he asking you to model the apples? if so, I would do a simple box for those to make them as low poly as possible.

What is happening there is, Bobbo is being tricky (I think :)). He knows that the game only renders what is in the central UV map. Meaning - anything that extends out of the bounds of the main uv-unwrap box in the uv-unwrap modifier in Max won't be shown in the game. So, those artifacts - won't be there in the game. Without checking out the files I don't know for sure, but I suspect that is it.

Well I made that second .dds map for the blooming texture and I know I wasn't trying to be tricky ;) . The artifacts I have circled , I don't think should be there. I'm thinking I exported my .dds wrong...not at all impossible since this is the first time dealing with .dds's. But if your right about how they wont be shown in the game, then I guess I don't need to worry about it.

And about the apples, I have some guidelines to follow for them, as I have :)

Edited by ewu_swarrington

Yeah, you're doing good, you're basically following our technique exactly - I made the directions vague to allow you creative freedom to try whatever you'd like, but this is good. You can keep the trunk texture separate and just use the one provided (unless you'd like to tweak it abit to be more characteristic of apple trees), and you can fit a smidget of 8x8 somewhere on the branch texture for the apples.

Here is your tiling problem: Indeed the game does not tile the textures so everything that exceeds the bounds of the texture just uses the last pixel information it has, which in this case is total transparency - so its a clever trick that allows me to use triangles instead of planes, and lets me half the amount of polygons being used. If you want to get rid of that (Jason taught me this) go to the materials section and there is a checkbox that says "tile", uncheck them. See the attatched image.

post-81-1205633976_thumb.jpg

Yeah, you're doing good, you're basically following our technique exactly...

Thanks, for the help :)

I updated the files and I think I'm about done. I've attached an screen shot image of the contents on my work file "Apple_Tree.max" for everyone to look at and give me feed back.

A few issues I need comments on are:

-The apple map looks a bit too dark in my viewports, I don't know if they need adjusted. Is the correlation different between view port and in game render?

-I can delete some faces on the bottom of the apples to lower poly count, it wont conflict with anything will it? (task required I make low poly spheres, I'd be deviating from a sphere object)

-Trunk poly counts are higher then the task required 50, but all of the trees are below the 250 poly limit. I can adjust the trunks some more but I'm afraid of losing detail.

Thanks.

post-3389-1205808110_thumb.gif

Looks good, I have only one nitpick this time - if you can thin the trunk on the last 2 sets of tree (in the back), shrink it maybe 50%, it should look pretty frail rather than bulky. I know you modelled the tree accurately and this is how it would look in the real world, but we've found that if you make a tree look how it really does, it somehow ends up looking awkward in-game, from a birds eye view. So hence we have to do little exagerations with its shape and the trunk, like making it smaller.

You can keep the base of them slightly thick, as you've done with the other trees to imply roots integrating into the ground.

Otherwise I say you're done :) good job. The flowered trees will especially look unique in the game.