Texture Artist's Haven

I've been posting this around on every forum I can think of that it would apply to, and I've been wondering.

How much interest would there be in a forum dedicated to a texture artist's trade? It'd be hosted on purpledesignstudios.com, likely with a co.nr domain tacked on for looks. I searched Google backwards for a texture artist's forum and they just don't exist. Plenty of 3D forums to go around, and graphic art forums are a popular topic, but ours is a delicate industry, being able to think of how to convert a 3D model into a 2D image. Not a lot of graphic artists can do that, and most 3D artists use unwrapping tools to accomplish that.

Possible Forum Structure

• General
    • Announcements - for news and the like
    • Community Forums

[*]Texture Art

• Tutorials
    • Work in Progress
    • C&C
    • UV Mapping
    • Technique - for inquiring about how certain things are done by different artists

[*]Category name?

• Character Art
    • Environment Art

[*]Program Specific

• Photoshop
    • Gimp
    • Fireworks
    • PSP
    • Paint.NET

[*]The Billboard - for ad space

• Hiring Artists
    • Artists for Hire
    • Showcases - for game/mod showcases and whatever else
    • Portfolios - posting links to your site and all

And then of course staff forums. We'd use phpBB 3 for this hypothetical forum because it's my favorite, so lemme just dictate that right now. :)

Any comments, concerns, ideas?

Plenty of 3D forums to go around, and graphic art forums are a popular topic, but ours is a delicate industry, being able to think of how to convert a 3D model into a 2D image.

Actually about any 3D forum I know also has a 2D section, which basically is the same as texturing since it uses the same techniques etc. Some even have a special forum for texturing. Not that I don't like your initiative, though. :)

Edited by Argalius

I think "texture" should be in the name somewhere - my personal opinion only. ("Texture haven" is really not all that bad a name.) The site looks nice but a lot of things don't quite display properly. It could be you're not finished setting it up yet or it could be internet explorer which I have to use.

Anyway, great site and I'm looking forward to all that new content.

Actually about any 3D forum I know also has a 2D section, which basically is the same as texturing since it uses the same techniques etc. Some even have a special forum for texturing. Not that I don't like your initiative, though. ;)

Yes, but texture art isn't always associated with 3D. For example, you need texture artists for making a 2D game. Also, these sections are never very extensive, and are often flooded with requests related to normal mapping in 3D software etc.

As for the style problems, I'm working on figuring them out, but they came with the original style. The only thing I really did was change all the colors and some of the images. I plan to do more, but that's what's been done atm. You can visit the original style demo here to see that most of the problems were not originally my doing. :)

I've got the PSD for that very reason. The name is sorta in limbo right now until we find one that fits. :) I'll change it now if you like.