Ornlu

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

We always need enthusiastic and active people, if you're someone who wants to spend an hour or two every day until 0 A.D. is released then we'd love to have you.

As for voice acting, I'm not sure the state of the sound department right now, we could in theory start recording these things now but it all depends - if there is no immediate work and you're interesting in docing, specing, and planning then you can take it on yourself to spec the voice acting for the game, figure out which dialects to use for what, figure out what needs voice acting in the first place, and things of that nature. If you're hoping to do voice acting for a campaign that won't take place until much longer like around beta (currently we are working towards a serries of pre-alpha builds to be concluded by a playable internal alpha)

That being said, fill out an application if you want to help with something and we'll get back to you soon :) We value regular involvement and commitment beyond immediate technical skills.

I would suggest Basque, because there is also few information on the origins of Basque - some people even say Basque is a leftover of ancient Iberian dialects.

Spanish has its roots in Latin, so it wouldn't be a very good option, would it? But if you choose Spanish, don't forget the fact that Old Spanish sounded very differently than today's Spanish - some say it sounded more or less like Portuguese.

Edited by Undo

I would suggest Basque, because there is also few information on the origins of Basque - some people even say Basque is a leftover of ancient Iberian dialects.
Sounds like a good idea :)
Spanish has its roots in Latin, so it wouldn't be a very good option, would it? But if you choose Spanish, don't forget the fact that Old Spanish sounded very differently than today's Spanish - some say it sounded more or less like Portuguese.
I'm sure the Portugese favour that opinion. :) .

Undo, you know Gato Fedorento? (Sorry for off-topicness.)

I'm sure the Portugese favour that opinion. :) .

It's not an invention of mine:

It is difficult to say how Spanish and Portuguese were pronounced at that time. We do know that the Spanish 'jota' [ j ], which is found throughout the texts, was pronounced like the French ' j ' rather than as it is pronounced today. (The modern pronounciation dates from the time of Cervantes)

More than half the texts on this recording are in Castilian. [ ... ] Spanish was [ ... ] the language of intellectuals and of the cultural and aristocratic elite throughout the Iberian Peninsula at that time, and notably at the Portuguese court, where the nobility was bilingual. Most of the rest of the population spoke only Portuguese.

This bilingualism led to the appearance of Portuguese phonetic influences in Castilian. Thus in purely Castilian texts we find words with Portuguese spelling: 'senhora' instead of 'señora', 'suffrimento' for 'suffrimiento', and so on. "Castilian was influenced in a thousand ways by Portuguese. It was in a position of weakness; Portuguese was in a position of strength. Innumerable changes brought so-called Portuguese Castilian closer to Portuguese than to the authentic Castilian of Castile. (...) When a Portuguese word, form or expression was completely unknown in Spanish, it was simply transposed. Thus, 'saudade', a typically Portuguese sentiment, referring to a sort of nostalgic melancholy or yearning, was apparently hard to express in Castilian (despite the existence of the word 'soledad'), and so the new word 'saludad' came into being" (Paul Teyssier, 'Histoire externe de la langue')

(...)

Paul Teyssier again: "Portuguese Castilian was slightly different from standard Castilian of the time. Indeed, it was so close to Portuguese that the two were dialects of the same language."

If this was the situation in the 16th century, it's almost certain that it was the same some centuries ago too.

Undo, you know Gato Fedorento?

He is me :)

Edited by Undo

It's not an invention of mine:

I wasn't trying to imply that you did. Only that I'm sure Portuguese Historians prefer that POV, where as Spanish ones probably see the the other way around. Its just a stupid half full vs. half empty thing. Who is actually correct is another matter, and I suspect that it's the former not the latter. But good luck convincing a Spaniard

He is me

That is not a big surprise.