Ykkrosh does it again!

Wijitmaker

I thought I'd share this with you guys here at 0ad because the concept of 0ad has its roots in AoK. And infact, you could probably accurately say that the pre-0ad was in fact WFS's very own mod for AoK ( http://www.wildfiregames.com/raw/ ).

This is a stat editor that has previously only been availible to SWGB and now works with AoK. Both games use the same engine.

Pretty cool stuff! Weird thing is, if we had this tool 4 years ago, 0 A.D. as we know it probably wouldn't be a stand alone game like it is now, but instead a mod for AoK. So I guess its a good thing that it only came out till just now (y)

http://aok.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/aokcgi/...t&f=9,33863,,10

The file:

http://games.build-a.com/swgb/files/GeniEd2.exe

• Like 1

Hehehe..... I wonder what took so long for the Stat Editor to be implemented into AoK if SWGB used the same engine.....

The original (and slow and ugly) GeniEd tried to understand the entire genie.dat file from SWGB, and there were too many differences in AoK's empires2.dat for me to bother doing it.

GeniEd2 is much simpler since it only tries to handle the unit data, so reading AoK's slightly different format wasn't particularly hard. And being a complete rewrite, it's far less horribly slow and ugly than the original (y)

Hey Ykkrosh, I get a chance to tell you in person. Beautiful work man! That tool should go a long ways to helping the AoK modding community. Especially for large projects like the "Battle for Middle Earth" mod: http://www.vanacreative.com/bome/

I'm not sure if it would be of any use to you, but I have the old source code for Mod Pack Studio v3 that never came out. I was doing beta testing for J_C_A; but he dropped off the face of the earth, and the project was never completed. If you have any interest in the code, I could forward that to you.

Oh, and if your ever bored and looking for a project, let me know - we could always use a coder that likes to get his hands dirty and the dedication and drive to see a project through. (y)

Oh, and if your ever bored and looking for a project, let me know - we could always use a coder that likes to get his hands dirty and the dedication and drive to see a project through. (y)

Didnt have to ask you about why he wasnt in the team then :)

Though, why havent you asked him before? :P

I'm not sure if it would be of any use to you, but I have the old source code for Mod Pack Studio v3 that never came out.

I don't know much about MPS, but it sounds like the only particularly interesting part of MPS3 is terrain editing, which isn't hugely interesting - not enough to make me happy about touching VB again :-( (Although it's quite probable that I'm unaware of what MPS3 can actually do that nothing else can.)

There might be some potential for boredom in the near future (four months of holiday left! yay!) -- I don't want to commit myself to anything long-term, but I'd be happy to help out if there's something simple enough (y)

I did the SWGB mod programs in [not-particularly-advanced] VB (easy to make nice windows, hard to make nice resizing or dynamically-generated windows); the original GeniEd in Perl with a console-based UI (only slightly better than a command-line interface); the AOM file-converter in Perl/Tk (didn't need a particularly complicated interface since it was just a few buttons and file dialogs, but the code was still quite ugly); and GeniEd2 in C++ with wxWindows, which seems to solve all the problems I had with the other methods (although it probably adds all new problems which I just haven't noticed yet (y)).

And it's easy to embed C++ code in C++ programs, unlike in other languages (the SWGB tools take forever to decompress SLPs and AOMEd has the most unbelievably pathetic (and still extremely slow) palettisation code), so it's now my language of choice until something better comes along :)