Celtic Chariots

Mathghamhain

Will the Gauls/Celts have chariots?

celtic.jpg

These were a very common vehicle of war among the celtic peoples (all be it, more basic than greek or persian chariots), used mostly for hit and run attacks and to carry warlords swiftly around the battlefield. I think even if they are kept to a minimum, this would vastly improve the historical accuracy and flavor factor for the celts.

*this is the first web forum i've ever been a part of so bear with me :)

British War Chariot

• 2 weeks later...

From memory didn't the greeks have powerful cavalry and archers but as time wore on they slowly made more use of Hoplitai.

By the way I'm just Scipii_alemanus. I lost my password and I stopped using my normal hotmail address as it was to clogged with... I don't even want to know (shows what happens when you give your brother your account name {not password})

The Greeks used mostly (90%) Hoplites until the Persian Wars, where they learned the value of mixed-unit armies. Light troops (akontistes, psiloi, peltasts) were used increasingly during the Peloponnesian Wars. After the defeat of the city-states by Macedon, cavalry was increasingly used for more than just scouting and light raids.

My reference book says:

The Greek cavalry was not formed until the middle of the 5th Century BC. It was not in evidence at the battle of Marathon (490 BC) or later at Plataeus, but then the exploits of the Persian cavalary during the wars against the Medes inspired the Greeks to form a cavalry arm.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

The Greeks DID have chariots. When invading Troy, the Greeks mostly had one type of soldier, a soldier similar to the hoplite (The AoM version of a hoplite is from the classical age)

http://www.amazon.com/Ancient-Greece-Odyss...d/dp/0199105324

this site leads to a store of a book about the Trojan war (hopefully a library near you has a copy of this book).

If you look on pages 26-27, 33 and 38-39, you'll see some pictures of Greek and Trojan chariots. (P.S. the Trojans were really Babylons, but worshiped Persian gods and Zeus and Apollo, unlike what AoM states that they were Greeks)

Edited by Alexthegod5

The Mykenaian style of warfare was very different to the post-dark age Greek armies. Even in the archaic period massive advances were made, such as with the Hellenized phalanx being formed and the huge development of weapons and armour from the 6th century BC onwards. Chariots were strictly a form of transport or leisure during most of the archaic era onwards, though richer men may have served as cavalry in the archaic period.

As for Trojans being Babylonians, that sounds like quite controversial thinking, as only the very furthest south-eastern tip of Turkey was Mesopotamian, let alone Babylonian. The Trojans were simply Anatolians with an Aegean culture.

That book is really good though, and as expected has fantastic artwork!

Edited by FirePowa8

• 1 month later...