AoM vs. 0AD modding?

MythicRuler

I just registered here but I have been a longtime member of aomh. Is the modding for 0ad going to be easier or harder in relation to aom modding? Are there similar proto(x) files, or another way of defining units. I would love info on this. Will textures also need to be converted like aom? Thanks if you can answer this, and I am really looking forward to this.

Anyone have any clue on when this might come out?

Hello Mythic. Nice name, and welcome to 0 A.D.'s forums! :)

1.) Yes, 0 A.D. will be infinitely more moddable than AOM. We have a data driven engine, which means most of the game info does not reside locked up in the engine code, but rather in easy to modify data files in an easily understandable filing system.

2.) Textures will be in standard DDS format. This format is used very widely. You can download the "official" NVidia DDS plugin for Photoshop from their site, or use the proprietary exporter we'll include with the game. Either way, they will be extremely easy to use once you understand what you're doing. :)

3.) When oh when will the game be released? I have no concrete date. Let's just say 1-2 years is a good guess. Depends on how smoothly the rest of development goes.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I imagine that this game will be twice what anyone expected of an AoM2. Especially the open source part. (y)

O MY GOD, is it going to be an sequel to AOM (without ES making it)?

But when I though for second time, some people were dissapointed with AoM, i think it was a great game, and when AOE3 came to the light, i felt dissapointed with it

No, 0AD is not AOM secuel in any sense, what Bob was trying to say is that this game will be far better than the games in the "Age of" series. Of course better graphics, gameplay, and modding posibilities.

Something interesting, is that since 0AD will be open source and highly moddable, if someone wants, the engine can be use to make another mythology based game (and I think there are some members already planing that)