Some cool engine effects

Historicity

I tend to dislike bloom, since it usually seems to be unpleasantly overused, but other people can ignore me :). There was some discussion a while ago about implementing a simple bloom filter, and it seems like it shouldn't be hard to make something that gives kind of the right effect, though it's not something we've tried working on yet. As far as I'm aware, HDR is much more complex and would need changes through most of the rendering code, so we're not likely to bother doing that.

In AoE3 it sucked indeed. Can't imagine how anyone could play like that. And one tad below that in gfx looked like AoM-level sophistication to me, but then again, the whole of AoE3 wasn't very good.
Oh really? And why do you say that?

Even on low level it's a whole heap better than AoM. So's the gameplay. But yeah, I 'd love to know why you don't like any of AoE3.

I think at the higher settings with Bloom and HDR the game looks great but is a pain for gameplay.

Works fine for me. :) Depends on the card you have, of course - but even with the abuse of bloom it's beautiful to play and look at, even one and a half years later.

On the lower settings, AOE3 looks worse than AOM. I think at the higher settings with Bloom and HDR the game looks great but is a pain for gameplay. Gameplay-wise I'd say AOE3 and AOM are on-par.
Gotta disagree about gameplay, but hey, it's your opinion. Graphics wise, it depends on your card, and also, I reckon AoE3 lowest is only a little worse than AoM on highest.

The reason AOE3 looks bad on lower settings is their artwork. With Bloom and HDR and Normal mapping and all those whizbang features the actual artwork (skins, meshes) doesn't need to be that good - the whizbang features make up for it. AOM didn't have whizbang graphical features, so their high quality art was better than AOE3's low quality art.

As far as gameplay, I meant it twofold - Of course the possible lag caused by the super graphical features, but also that sometimes graphics get in the way of playing the game. Just my humble opinion. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm with... that person who turns it all off. Icouldn't really care about graphics (unless it's FIFA 07 seriously EA should update the graphics and gameplay) just FPS. Besides i have a

Nvidia 3 ti 2 graphics card

256mb ram

XP Pro

140GB Hard Drive (0.6GB left)

So in normal words i can't generally use HDR or bloom except on old games!!

I'm with... that person who turns it all off. Icouldn't really care about graphics (unless it's FIFA 07 seriously EA should update the graphics and gameplay) just FPS. Besides i have a

Nvidia 3 ti 2 graphics card

256mb ram

XP Pro

140GB Hard Drive (0.6GB left)

So in normal words i can't generally use HDR or bloom except on old games!!

that hurts me lol Say goodbye to all current generation games, last generation games, and of course, next generation games :)

I have something closer to 6.9 gig now. I deleted music I never have, will, or am listening to games that are way past use by date (by CoD2, EE2) and miscellaneous other things. ie homework from high school and college (Australian Capital Territory school sys goes primary, high, college, uni)

RAM usually helps significantly too, particularly since Windows uses up much of it and doesn't leave a lot. But it's too early to give any actual numbers for 0 A.D. now - we'll be adding more content, but also optimising the code, and probably adding low-quality options (reduced texture resolution, etc), so we can't predict exactly how it will end up working. And it's better to wait as long as possible before upgrading anything in your computer, because then the hardware will be much faster and cheaper :)

Oh really? And why do you say that?

Even on low level it's a whole heap better than AoM. So's the gameplay. But yeah, I 'd love to know why you don't like any of AoE3.

I think so. Yeah sure, AoE3 on graphics high looks sophisticated, but it's just bloom+HDR for the hell of it in my opinion. Like so many games these days (Need For Speed anyone) throw some pixelshader3 over to cover up that fact that its a bad game. Step a notch down to where bloom etc is off (which looks better imho, nice crisp and sharp), and you're left with graphics on par with AoM.

And gameplaywise: pulease... Play the darn game, it much worse than AoM and let's not talk about AoE2 (which is King, pun intended). Lame tech-tree, lame map-mechanics and a lame campaign.

Theres much better (graphically and gameplay-wise) RTS'es out there, some even older than AoE3.

let's not talk about AoE2 (which is King, pun intended). Lame tech-tree, lame map-mechanics and a lame campaign.

AoE2 has great balance, a full tech tree, a simple yet powerful editor, and contrary to what you believe, many like the campaign.

Also, AoE2 has been around for almost 10 years now, and still has a thriving community. Few games can claim this after such time. :)

Edited by Impeached