Questions

sniedermeier

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When the team combined the Spartan and Athenian branches into the "Poleis",Was because it was too much work or because the lack of diference between athens and sparta?Socrates would be cool,a hero who doesnt fight

Pheraps the Bronze Age idea ould be ade when WFG finish part II...

And what if the iberians had branhes as the celtiberians and lusitanians or the original iberians(before the celts came) and the lusitanians?

Well, that may be a problem, but here we can see some unit ideas for a lusitanian faction(from a RTW mod):here we can see some unit ideas for a lusitanian faction(from a RTW mod)

And some other questions:

1)How hard is to find informations about carthage?

2)From the old unit comcepts, looks like that all the iberian soldiers use the same uniforms.do this sttil using the same uniforms?

3)Will the map editor be able to create Randon maps?

• 3 weeks later...
I've notice that the faces of the units are textured which is not realistic at all

will you be making mesh faces ? (you know, were the nose is not "drawn" but is an actual mesh, like the hands and legs).

lol... The units don't have fingers either. ;)

It comes down to game performance. We'd love for each unit to have 4,000 polygons and distinctive facial geometry, but it's just not feasible with current technology and not needed for a game of this type. RTS games aren't supposed to be zoomable to the point of needing facial geometry. To zoom in that far would lose the player the ability to command the battle effectively.

Having said that, a few heroes might have some custom "cinematic" heads and meshes for cut-scenes/cinematics.

how can Medieval Total War 2 achieve that without having such heavy requirements

By putting a lot of effort into various tricks - there's high-poly models when you get really close, lower-poly ones as you move further away from a unit (because it's small enough that you can't see the difference), and flat sprites when you get far enough away. (That's why you can see a kind of wave travelling up a group of units as you zoom out, at least in MTW and RTW (I haven't played M2TW), as they switch to lower-detail versions which look similar but not exactly the same. The same is done for the trees in Oblivion, and probably in a number of other games.)

We're focusing on different areas instead - we don't have additional low-detail versions of any model, since they wouldn't be as useful for us as for the TW games (because we have a more standard RTS camera where you're normally about the same distance from any unit, not looking at an entire army spreading into the horizon). But we do have units of the same type having different clothing patterns, shield patterns, hair colours, faces, etc, avoiding the clone-army look of RTW (since we're concentrating on much smaller battles, where individuals are more important).

If we had unlimited resources (on the programming side and the art side) we could probably work out a way to have more detailed units without slowing down in large battles, but unfortunately we don't (and nor does any other game developer) so at some point we have to make tradeoffs between detail, performance, consistency, hardware requirements, effort, complexity, etc, and currently those tradeoffs mean we don't look like M2TW and don't have noses ;)

• 1 month later...

The goal is to have the ability for all text (excluding text that is in an image) be modifiable. All we need is someone who is capable of translating, do the work of translating all the text (which would probably be a large job).

Short answer is that we will provide the public the capability of making a translation, but we will probably lean on the community to do the dirty work of translating for us once the english version is released.

Je sais un peu de francais; s'il vous plait, je puis traduire 0 AD a Francais... (I know a little French; if it pleases you, I can translate 0 AD to French...)

More specifically, I know French grammar well; which, when coupled with my (somewhat limited) vocabulary and a French-English dictionary, would allow me to translate almost anything.

• 1 month later...

The units will have strengths and weaknesses in a format similar to Rock, Paper, Scissors? Or will be another type of system? like one based in the troops skill or in another thing?

Rock, Paper, Scissors system sucks. In RoN it was terrible.

In 0AD units will be more realistic. They will be strong in situations they really were.

Pikes don't always have to win against cavalry....

Salo: 0AD is standalone project. Not MOD. But it isn't finished, yet.