Beta Developers Packet PLEASE!

egel

I heard that a Beta Developers packet, as such, with a few meshes, a stripped down Actor Viewer and Actor Editor and so on, so people could play around with their own textures, learn how to make them and so on, was being debated.

I say that this is a really great thing for everyone who can do this stuff and wants to play with 0AD, and those who can't, but are desperate to learn, LIKE ME!

How about everyone who's interested joins in and posts here to show that the community out here likes this and that it should be done! ;)

It's definately something we've discussed. Not to get your hopes up though. We have certain issues, like security for the engine exe. For example, if we release this dev packet, even with a stripped down engine, could that invite hacks and other security issues down the road even before we launch the game? So, it's not just a matter of slapping together our tools and voila! ;)

But again, it's something I support. I'm not sure there has been a final word on the subject yet. Stay tuned! :P

Mythos, could whoever made the engine/ whoever among you is best at this pretty much pull apart the engine and turn it into a previewer effectivley? Like totally change it so that it's nothing like the original, and you can just look at your texture and models and make them move around?. I don't know if this is possible, but it would be worth asking.

We've already got a unit viewer which does that kind of thing (since it's useful for us too) - the problem is that although it only needs our graphics code, the .exe contains all of the other code from the game and editing tools. That's things like unfinished networking code, which we need to consider the security of, as well enough of everything else so you could play the whole game (if you had the right data files) which is not what we want to release quite yet ;)

I'm of the same opinion as HistoryGuy (you can see why we've had alot of debate now, hehe)

The conclusion we settled on is that this is a good idea but its not a good investment of time. We have to take the time to strip down the engine and slap it back together in minimal form enough to render units other tidbits...which in all honesty is not going to be that impressive or powerful.

Additioanlly people will then demand support for this tool and demand updates which will take more time away from the important development of the game and ultimately I think people will be happier with something more feature complete.

Now thats not to say that a unit viewer or a tech demo for modders won't be released down the line ;) That in itself is a good idea, just not at this exact current time.

If people are interested at this stage in modding for 0ad, we instead strongly urge these people to continue their practices and to get start expiramenting with 3d modelling software, and then to apply to join the team as an artist ;)

It is not impossible to learn to do this art, I'm just about 18 years old and have done (or did :P ) a large majority of the terrains and natural art for the game, and when I joined at age 15 I had no art skills whatsoever besides some small-scale modding with Age of Mythology. All I had was the persistance and an unsane desire to see this game finished - I was definately a fan before I joined, being aware of the project since its 2001 AoK mod days.

Interested modders would be much happier joining the game and contributing to it at this stage. Any people interested in making other mods - my estimate is the best time for that will be when we aproach beta and the gameplay and technical aspects of 0AD will start to be secured and finalized.