Help, but how?

egel

Show up, keep in touch, tell friends, sign up to test when you can, download and help distribute the game when its released, or be a historian. :blush:

Okay, so maybe not the last one. This game will be nothing without an active and faithful community. That's where you come in.

Edited by Titus Ultor

Show up, keep in touch, tell friends, sign up to test when you can, download and help distribute the game when its released, or be a historian. tongue.gif

Okay, so maybe not the last one. This game will be nothing without an active and faithful community. That's where you come in.

Ok, fair enough. I realise this but anyway...

What's wrong with being a historian? If you need help in history/research, that is something I can do, and pretty well too. Some of us (e.g me) like that sort of thing.

So, if we're not skilled enough in any of the categories in the sign up list, but we still really want to help, and we're mediocre at everything except gameplay testing... What do we do?

Learn modelling in some 3d program compatible with 0AD format (3DS, Dnas was also speaking about Blender and I consider it better option due to price) and become modeller or texturer.

I can tell you that after two days with Blender I was able to create IMHO quite nice model of horse.

Such skills will be mostly welcomed in some mod development.

Edited by Belisarivs

... and we're mediocre at everything except gameplay testing... What do we do?

Or learn how to be an effective tester.

If you've never been involved with software testing professionally, don't assume that testing 0 A.D. will be any easier than creating art, programming the engine, or managing a team. Software testing is a skill, and like any other skill, you need to practice to improve that skill.

When the day comes to start building the test organization, I will be giving precedence to those whose experiences include either time inside the industry in quality assurance or verifiable time provided voluntarily to software projects around the Web. I will also be providing training to those without experience in software testing.

Many of us started out by first modding existing games. Wildfire Games used to be WildFire Studios before 2002 when it was a mere modding team for Age of Kings. Become interested in modding, make a few things, and you have the basic foundation for the skills you need to be able to contribute to this project in a more physical way.

All jokes aside, I am a historian myself. It's just that it requires relatively little skilled when compared to the sheer amount of effort and skill it takes to do rendering, programming and the like.
Being a historian rewuires an awful lot effort too, as you will know from experience, and a different sort of ability.

Anyway

Learn modelling in some 3d program compatible with 0AD format (3DS, Dnas was also speaking about Blender and I consider it better option due to price) and become modeller or texturer.
Pricewise, what's Blender like? I know of 3DS from a little modding experiance with Morrowind, sadly not applicable here, but it's not cheap.

• 3 months later...