Random Map Script:Rivers

Spahbod

An RMS similar to AoM's nile map. There are rivers between players with shallow places. Uses my random biome system.

Don't underestimate this map as it may look "normal". Do you still remember what I said about snowflake searocks? I said it was the most complex map in the game. Well, this one is an exception. It took me 3 days and a major overhaul of old river code + snowflake's connectors. In fact I can't remember now what each part of the code does.

To Mythos: This map can be considered a tech demonstrator with necessary components for a Punjab map. I'll start working on it as soon as there are enough material for an Indian map.

Just another thing: Do you want to have a version of Islands map with random biome system?

Rivers.PNG

Link to Download

Enjoy...

I don't think we plan any "official" maps with random biomes, since all of the maps are biome-specific. However, I see no problem in including more maps not on the official list (which do have random biomes). We'd just prefer to include those on the official list first.

For Mediterranean and Tropic maps, the rivers should look like a "wash" or Arroyo, with lots of shallow spots and islands. See Acropolis III for a Mediterranean example, and Punjab for a Tropic example. Wide fords or crossings should be denoted with reeds and water lilies.

I don't think we plan any "official" maps with random biomes, since all of the maps are biome-specific. However, I see no problem in including more maps not on the official list (which do have random biomes). We'd just prefer to include those on the official list first.

For Mediterranean and Tropic maps, the rivers should look like a "wash" or Arroyo, with lots of shallow spots and islands. See Acropolis III for a Mediterranean example, and Punjab for a Tropic example. Wide fords or crossings should be denoted with reeds and water lilies.

I didn't know Islands was an official map. It wasn't in the list you created. I only use random biome for "generic" maps. Like Lake, Continent, Rivers, etc. And Islands seemed generic to me.

The official map document for Nile river states that it must not have any shallows. Should I remove it so It'll become more official?

I'll fix the rivers as you say (Although I haven't seen any Punjab map yet). And another thing: As you want to see official maps created first, I made a list of maps able to be made as RMS. Do you want to add/remove some from the list?:

Phoenician Levant

Cycladic Archipelago

Lorraine Plain

Rhine Marshlands

The Islands RMS we included on a whim, but would make a good foundation for 'Cycladic Archipelago.'

I only use random biome for "generic" maps. Like Lake, Continent, Rivers, etc. And Islands seemed generic to me.

The 'Islands' RMS in the game right now only uses the Mediterranean biome. We could rename that one to 'Cycladic Archipelago' and then add some random biome action to it and call it 'Islands.' I do think it would be good to include "generic" maps. Perhaps a different 'sort' in the maps drop list.

I'll fix the rivers as you say (Although I haven't seen any Punjab map yet).

You should start using the SVN version of the game. :)

As you want to see official maps created first, I made a list of maps able to be made as RMS. Do you want to add/remove some from the list?:<br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250); "><br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250); ">Phoenician Levant<br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250); ">Cycladic Archipelago<br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250); ">Lorraine Plain<br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250); ">Rhine Marshlands

Not a bad list to start out with. Maybe the existing 'Islands' RMS can be Cycladic Archipelago I and a new one you make is Cycladic Archipelago II.

Updated the map. Fixed many bugs caused by the new river code. Added reeds to the shallow spots. Added bumps to the rivers in tropic and medit biomes. Changed the river terrains for polar and tropic. A major overhaul of tropic biome (This one is also applied to other RMS using random biome code. Like Snowflake or Continent.).

Hi Spahbod, I notice you're doing random maps with rivers and stuff. I've gone ahead and uploaded my work-in-progress path placer to #892, if you want to take a look at it. Unfortunately it doesn't work perfectly and I haven't had the time to debug it. Basically you pass it two end points, a width, and some other controlling parameters. It generates random offsets from a straight line between the endpoints, connects the offsets with short line segments, then uses some polygon fill code to add all the tiles. There's definitely some bugs in the code though, the resulting curves are not always smooth :(

I studied your path algorithm. It is perfect for canyons, roads, narrow rivers and much more and would be a great boost to people's capabilities in making random maps and I'll gladly use it for many works. But it is not suitable for wide rivers because of it's occasional unpredictability and also it doesn't really help when we want to get into details. That's why I chose a completely different algorithm for the wide river code. Your current code doesn't have serious problems I think and you'd better add it to SVN as soon as possible.

Edited by Spahbod

About biomes: we should definitely factor out the hardcoded terrain textures and resources from random maps, as much as possible, there are some vague ideas about this on the Wiki. What I'd love to have someday is high level controls to define parts of a random map with different biomes, before placing any textures or resources, then tweak some variables (forest cover, water cover, hills, etc.), then place the textures and resources as a final step. Your random biomes might get used as part of that concept ;)

• 5 years later...
On 1/22/2012 at 3:20 PM, Spahbod said:

Don't underestimate this map as it may look "normal". Do you still remember what I said about snowflake searocks? I said it was the most complex map in the game. Well, this one is an exception. It took me 3 days and a major overhaul of old river code + snowflake's connectors. In fact I can't remember now what each part of the code does.

Well well.

• Haha 1