Here to Learn

Hello, all. I'm Brendan, and I'm working on a FOSS game in an entirely different genre. But since 0 A.D. is not only a fun game but also one of the most successful FOSS development teams I've seen, I'm here to steal like an artist whatever ideas you have that will translate to what I'm trying to do.

Of course, I'm also intending to contribute where I have something valuable to 0 A.D. I'll just have to find out where and what they may be as I "tour the factory".

Cool, that was actually one of the motivations behind us open sourcing the game: that others could learn from it/use it in some way. That way the project is at the very least useful in some way, even if we'd never manage to complete the game. The best way to get into the project in a nice way is probably by hanging out in #0ad-dev on irc.quakenet.org if you aren't already :)

(Btw, that description made me think of Machiavelli, not sure if that's open source or even called Machiavelli, but "social strategy game" sounds like it could be something similar.)

I'll have to swing by your channel then. Developing a FOSS game can be brutally hard, so I'm looking forward to "interviewing" your team about what has made 0 A.D. thrive.

I hadn't heard of Machiavelli the game before. It's not quite what my idea is, but seems to have interesting use of Game Theory over several interactions. My themes are more interpersonal than military, but mechanically there is a lot of common ground. So thanks for that.

I'll have to swing by your channel then. Developing a FOSS game can be brutally hard, so I'm looking forward to "interviewing" your team about what has made 0 A.D. thrive.

I hadn't heard of Machiavelli the game before. It's not quite what my idea is, but seems to have interesting use of Game Theory over several interactions. My themes are more interpersonal than military, but mechanically there is a lot of common ground. So thanks for that.

I guess the only keys to success is a good enough idea and perseverance =)

Btw, I got curious what the actual name of the game I meant was and found out it's called Machiavelli's Workshop ( http://www.machiavellisworkshop.com/ ), still not what your idea is, but anyway =) (I haven't actually played it so I don't really know much about it.)

About your idea, seems interesting, and it definitely sounds like it needs a lot of work before you get what you aim for =) But you gotta dream to get somewhere other than the ordinary :)